- The programme is aimed at those attending formal well control training for the first time.
- The content is intended to prepare candidates for higher level well control courses.
- Candidates are required to complete an IWCF accredited training course prior to being assessed.
- Assessment is by written examination only, no practical assessments are included.
- Certificates are valid for 6 years.
Candidates may choose Surface BOP operations or Combined Surface and Subsea operations.
Content will include;
- Blowout preventers
- BOP control systems
- Chokes and manifolds
- Auxiliary equipment
Principles and procedures
- Shaker house operations, mud pit management, trip tank management. Leak-off test/MAASP.
- Primary well control, causes of kicks, normal and abnormal pressures, gas cutting, lost circulation, kicks as a result of surface initiated actions.
- Kicks while drilling:- early warning signs, positive kick signs, kicks while tripping.
- Shut in procedures.
- Well control methods.
- Kill sheet exercises.
- Well control management.
The programme comprise separate sets of tests for Surface BOP operations and Combined Surface and Subsea BOP operations.
To obtain a certificate, candidates must achieve a minimum mark of 70% in each section of the test programme.
Each candidate is required to complete a written test paper that includes multiple choice problem questions, the identification of equipment components and operating procedures; using diagrams and schematics. All candidates are allowed one hour to complete this section.
Principles and Procedures
Each candidate is required to complete a written test paper comprising multiple choice problems and Kill Sheet calculations. All candidates are allowed 1-½ hours to complete this section.
Independent Invigilators registered and approved by the IWCF conduct the Principles and Procedures and Equipment written test.
Accreditation of Certification Centres
The certification programme is conducted at centres that have been approved and accredited by the IWCF for the purpose of the certification programme.